January is Thyroid Awareness Month
Top 10 things people should know about thyroid disorders
1) As many as 27 million Americans may be affected by thyroid disorders, although more than half remain undiagnosed.
2) Thyroid disorders are more common amongst women.
3) Thyroid disorders tends to run in families.
4) Fatigue is a common complaint for under and over active thyroid conditions.
5) TSH testing is the most useful test for thyroid screening.
6) Regular check ups are the key to successfully managing a malfunctioning thyroid gland.
7) Changing formulations and dosage that affect thyroid hormone levels should be followed by retesting.
8) Do not change your dose of thyroid medication without guidance from your physician.
9) Thyroid conditions in pregnancy warrant close attention.
10) Thyroid cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers in America and one of the most curable.